Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Worn Path

Today my group and I debated on whether or not the detail of the grandson being alive or dead was important to the general message of the story. I think it is very important. If the grandson is alive, then the story is about a sweet old grandmother who takes care of her grandson. If he is dead, then the story is about a grandmother who cannot let go of her grandson's death. It's like a Rose for Emily. Tragic and sad. This detail, to me, makes a huge difference in the story. However, a student was given the chance to ask the author if the grandson was dead or alive. The author responded, "Phoenix is alive". This shows that the author made this story about the grandmother and not about the grandson. The detail does not change how caring the grandmother is. I found it ironic when the hunter says he would give her a dime if he had any money. Phoenix has all his money (:

No comments:

Post a Comment