Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Eveline

I really wanted her to leave with her lover. I felt bad for Eveline because her life seemed very repetitive and sad. She is obviously afraid of taking risks. She is so close to moving on but hesitates and decides against it. She is extremely indecisive. She goes back to live in her status quo life. I think that the author is making a generalization about all of Dublin and that they all just live by the status quo. My group struggled today on the meaning behind her giving her father the money she earned at work. She seemed to treat him like a bank. She would give him all her wages and then she would have to beg to get any back. She didn't like her job and she was just unhappy generally. It's sad that she didn't run away with her lover because I think that this character needs to escape from her miserable life. In truth, all she saw in him was a way out. She didn't really love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment