Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Rose For Emily

All of the flashbacks in this story confuse me. I can't tell what the chronological order of events are and where each book begins and leaves off. Book II is the most confusing. It begins 30 years before her funeral, 2 years after her father dies, and 1 year after Homer goes missing. After reading over this section several times, I finally started to understand what was happening first. Another thing I didn't really understand was the tax situation. She didn't have to pay her taxes for a long period of time. It seemed like the mayor or whatever it was felt bad for her because of the loss of her husband and her father so he didn't make her pay them. Then, all of a sudden, she had to pay them again. We see this on page 282 and it explains it in more detail, that I don't understand. Also I didn't think that the title of this story fit the tone of it at all. A Rose For Emily? how about, "Emily; A Girl Who Naps With Dead Bodies". That would have been more appropriate. I don't understand why the author decided to name this story so positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment