Thursday, January 27, 2011

TRAGEDY

Did everyone die? Typical. When I was reading the end, I was getting really sad. It's so unfair that Desdemona has to die for no reason. "in her be, even the bed she hath contaminated" (IV.i.190). And the villain lives. Shakespeare always does that to me. Anyway, this was definitely a tragedy. Hence the death. Tragic. They all happen at like the very last second of the play. At the end of Act IV, nobody had died yet. I was getting super nervous when I started reading Act V because I knew it wasn't going to be happy. The worst part of the play is when Othello learns the truth. The man he thought was his honest friend turns out to be plotting against him and causes him to kill his wife. Othello is so shaken by this that he takes his own life. It is interesting to me because they say that Othello took his life because he was "great of heart". Nowadays, suicide is not looked at as a noble or brave act.

No comments:

Post a Comment