Thursday, December 9, 2010

Ms. Brill = Dr. Seuss Movie





Plot:
The story begins when Ms. Brill takes out her fur and starts to talk to it. Right away the audience gets the sense that she has issues. If I were to make this into a film, I would have Ms. Brill start out in other locations. I have decided that Ms. Brill doesn't seem like a English teacher. Teachers are outspoken and Ms. Brill doesn't seem like the person to get in front of a group of people and lecture. I think she would best fit as a librarian. This would fit her because it would allow her to vicariously live through books, just like she does with the people in the park. I would have scenes with Ms. Brill in the library, in the park, and interactions with people in her life. I would make her seem invisible to other people around her. This would emphasize her loneliness. When I first read the scenes of Ms. Brill in the park, I pictured it as a Dr. Seuss movie. With the band, the people, and the picnics going on I pictured the cat and the hat. I would make this a Dr. Seuss animation and I would have all of this hustle and bustle going on while Ms. Brill sat there and watched it all. This would show how she thought she was a part of the play but really she is just the audience. Finally, I would change the ending of the story. Ms. Brill would realize, after several times of going to the park, that she was just the audience. She would then make an effort to make friends with the people at the park and become part of their everyday scene. I would end on this happy note (:


Setting:

Like I said before, this would have the animations of a Dr. Seuss movie. The only places I would take Ms. Brill in this movie is the library, the park, and home. She would spend the majority of her time at the park, however. This is the most important scene because it truly shows her loneliness. She is naive enough to think that she is part of this big scene so I would really drive that point home. Making this a Dr. Seuss movie will be easy to show that because the characters are wild and are known to do crazy things (thing 1 and thing 2--->they would be in the park). Also, I would have this movie in America. I would want Americans to relate to it because it is Dr. Seuss so I wouldn't want Ms. Brill to be from France like she is in the short story. The setting of this story will not change very often, but when it does, it proves a point.


Point of View:

The point of view of this movie will change. I will have the majority of it being seen from Ms. Brill's eyes. I think this is important because the audience will know what she is thinking and truly how sad and lonely of a person she is. Also, I would also like to have parts in the movie where you get a scene of other people talking about Ms. Brill without her knowing. It would be neat to show the audience what the people in the park think about her. This would help explain the innocence of Ms. Brill. The people will discuss her child-like character (smiling in the park and talking to her furs) and talk about how they've never seen her with friends. Of course, they would not take the initiative to go and talk to her. (that doesn't happen till the very end) Because this is a Dr. Seuss movie, I simply MUST have a narrator who starts out the movie in his deep rhyming voice. He will explain where Ms. Brill is and her naive attitude of life.



Characterization:

All of my characters would be animated. Although, I would have Betty White play the voice of Miss Brill. I would have Jim Carey play the voice of the fur. (that would be hilarious) and I would have the who's from "The Grinch" play the band. This story would be more of a children's story but it would also be a comedy. It will appeal to many groups of people. I would have each of the characters, especially Ms. Brill, introduced indirectly (except for the narraration ). I will have them described to the audience by the interactions they have with other people. This way, the audience can create their own opinion of the characters. Also, I will have the fur and the people in the park play a bigger role than they did in the short story. I don't want Miss Brill to be the only main character. It will be more entertaining to not only focus on the old lady. (especially in a children's story)


Theme:

I would change the theme of the story in the movie. In the story, it is about a lady who thinks she is part of the play but really she is just the audience. It is also about her not realizing her loneliness. This theme is too depressing for me. I would have it be about a lady who is insecure and is unsure of how to become part of society. It will be about how people get up the courage to make friends. This way, it will teach kids the lesson and importance of being outspoken and the difference it can make in their lives if they try to make friends. It is cheesy, I know. But, it will be an adorable children's movie, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment