Thursday, July 8, 2010

Chapter 19- Field Trip

He brings his daughter to Vietnam with him to revisit some old memmories. I think he is just trying to get past some things that still bother him. He visits the place where Kiowa died. If I was his daughter Kathleen, I would be upset about this, too. No doubt it still smells awful. Not to mention it's a field...who cares. I would probably take the time to explain what happened in that field. He can tell the whole world in a book but he doesn't want to tell his daughter. I wonder why that is. I like how he buries Kiowa's moccasins. It's symbolizes him leaving his good friend behind. Sending them off into the river is like him letting go of all the things he'd experienced in Vietnam. But above all, I think he was letting go of his guilt of Kiowa's death.

"when we reached the jeep, Kathleen turned and glanced out at the field. 'That old man,' she said, 'is he mad at you or something?' 'I hope not.' 'He looks mad.' 'No,' I said. 'All that's finished.'" (pg.179) This is also a symbol. He is saying that all the war is finished and all the anger has been left behind a long time ago. This is a big step for him.

1 comment: