Thursday, September 30, 2010

My Mistress' Eyes

When I first read this poem, I thought it was extremely offending. It seemed like the speaker was trying to negatively break down his lover. I was very wrong. Towards the end of the poem, it says "and yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare as any she belied with false compare". The speaker is saying that he isn't going to lie, his love isn't perfect. He is accepting of her flaws. Even though she is not perfect, he still loves her. Shakespeare is satirizing all the people who worship their wives and tell them whatever they want to hear. He is being honest with his and telling her exactly how it is. He doesn't care that she isn't perfect and he accepts it. Also, he is not saying that she is ugly, she is just "as rare" as every other girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment